Our Programs and Services
Orion Alternative School is home to two unique and innovative programs, our Parent Cooperative program and the Mandarin Immersion program.
Being part of a cooperative school is a rewarding experience that gives parents and guardians the opportunity to be an integral part of their child’s education. Your family, your child, and the school all benefit from a strong partnership between home and school. The Orion Parent Cooperative Program offers a nurturing learning environment where mutually respectful relationships with adults and peers are considered fundamental for early intellectual development and personal growth. Orion's strength is built on the participation of families.
The award-winning Mandarin Immersion program provides students an opportunity to learn one of the world’s most spoken languages. We not only offer a rigorous and innovative educational curriculum, but also prepare students to be future global leaders. We aim for students to be proficient and achieve academic competency in both English and Mandarin.
Our school also offers families and students in both programs:
- An engaging-hands on learning experience with trained professional staff
- A learning experience with a global perspective and appreciation of our student's home languages and cultures
- A caring and supportive parent community
- A STEAM integrated curriculum with a STEAM credential teacher
- Physical education with professional PE coaches twice a week
- Art in Action Lessons lead by parent classroom volunteers
- Outdoor Learning spaces, a garden and Environmental Science instructor lead by Climate Corps staff